Princess Cruises Take Delivery of Newest Ship: Sky Princess
15/10/19 Princess Cruises today took delivery of the 3,660-guest Sky Princess, the 18th ship to join its fleet, at an official handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy.
The 143,000-tonne vessel is the first purpose-built Princess MedallionClass ship. It features an evolution of the design platform used for its three sister ships: Royal Princess, Regal Princess and Majestic Princess.
Sky Princess boasts a host of new features that will also be on another sister ship, Enchanted Princess, which launches in Southampton in June 2020. These include two ‘Sky Suites’, which have the largest balconies at sea and are centrally located on the top decks with 270-degree panorama views. Each sleeps up to five guests.
New entertainment will feature such as the Phantom Bridge escape room, while an enhanced Princess Theatre will debut production shows ‘Rock Opera’ and ‘5-SKIES’. For the first time, guests will be able to listen to live performances and enjoy after-parties in a jazz lounge, ‘Take 5’.
Sky Princess’ inaugural cruise is a 7-day Mediterranean and Adriatic voyage on October 20, 2019. She will sail a short season in the Mediterranean before heading to the Caribbean. The ship will return to Europe next year, sailing from Copenhagen to the Baltics and Russia.
Jan Swartz, president of Princess Cruises, said: “We wish to extend our sincere gratitude to our long-time shipbuilding partner Fincantieri who delivered Sky Princess to us today. As our new flagship in the fleet, Sky Princess represents the absolute best Princess Cruises has to offer our guests by connecting them with what matters most, unique destinations, loved ones, and new friends, while enjoying all the state-of the-art experiences in comfort and style.”
The Princess Cruises fleet will continue to expand with the launch of Enchanted Princess and three additional ships arriving in 2021, 2023 and 2025.
As with Sky Princess, all ships will be purpose-built as Princess MedallionClass ships featuring the complimentary OceanMedallion wearable device, which is the same size as a 10p piece, delivers an entirely new level of service and creates a holiday that is more simple, effortless and personalised with:
- Expedited arrival - Guests who arrive at the terminal with travel documents (i.e. passports) uploaded to their profile enjoy a streamlined and expedited check-in process that gets their holiday started even sooner
- Touchless stateroom entry - No need to touch, swipe or insert cards or devices into the door handle to unlock the stateroom. As a guest approaches their stateroom the door automatically unlocks
- On-demand services - Using smart devices, guests have the ability to order drinks, food and retail items such as suntan lotion and have them delivered directly anywhere onboard, including to their stateroom
- Interactive game play - Available on portals throughout the ship, PlayOcean allows guests to take part in digital scavenger hunts, interactive games and create their own avatars, as well as turning their smart device into a game controller for interactive gaming on the Movies Under The Stars top-deck screen
- Family and friends locator - Accessible on portals throughout the ships and via guests’ smart devices, OceanCompass leverages the OceanMedallion to easily locate and chat with friends and family onboard. OceanCompass guides guests throughout their journey, providing directional information so they can seamlessly navigate to their next point of interest
- Interactive voyage timeline - Available on ship portals and via guests’ smart devices, JourneyView is an interactive timeline that lets guests scroll through all of the events available on board during their voyage and bookmark activities they’re interested in to their own personalised itinerary. Voyage itineraries are available as many as 60 days in advance, allowing guests to start planning before they leave home
Princess Cruises is offering an 11-day Scandinavia & Russia voyage on Sky Princess, departing May 28, 2020. Sailing roundtrip from Copenhagen (Denmark), ports of call include Oslo (Norway), Berlin (Germany), Tallinn (Estonia), overnight in St. Petersburg (Russia), Helsinki (Finland) and Stockholm (Sweden). Special offer currently available with prices from £1,949 per person for a free upgrade from a balcony to mini-suite.